Creating Art That Is Spot On!

My class of older students has spent a couple of weeks creating functional art works that are decorated entirely in spots. We looked at Australian Aboriginal artwork as well as the art of Leah Dorian as inspiration. All of these artists use dots to create complex images. Using these ideas as springboards, we moved into creating our own artworks.

Our supplies were fairly simple to get together. I was on one of my frequent visits to the Salvation Army, and I picked up a wooden salad bowl set for $4.00. The wood was nice and dark and the bowls were in really great condition. I then purchased a box of cotton swabs and brought in the usual array of acrylics, paper plates (as palettes) and water jugs.

The students were asked to create functional art pieces out of the re-purposed bowls and this was all the instruction they seemed to need. I didn’t tell them to paint an undercoat on the bowls but a few of them decided to do this on their own. Others just left the wood as-is and started painting dots immediately. Many started with simple patterns on their first bowls and then, on their second, moved in different directions. Sometimes, the materials are the catalyst for creativity, and this seemed to be the case.

Here are some of their works, completed, or in progress:

620 622

Art blog A25, 2014 - 2 Art blog A25, 2014 - 4 Art blog A25, 2014 5 Art blog A25, 2014 6 Art blog A25, 2014 7 Art blog A25, 2014 Art blog A25, 2014-3

Advertisements

The Great Portrait Challenge!

Four weeks of art-making resulted in some pretty vibrant final products last night! Most importantly, the students were so proud of their work and I think one or two surprised themselves. The sequence:

  • Learn to draw faces. Focus on proportion, shape, variety of features. Look at each other, look at our own faces. Compare “rules” for drawing a face to real faces by drawing on tracing paper and placing the image over a photo on my I Pad. Found that the proportions varied a little from person-to-person.
  • Repeated practice. We did this through games and invented faces. One game that was really neat was we each drew one feature and then rotated our paper from person to person. We got pretty creative with our features, laughed a lot and ended up with nine different and very funny faces – all drawn to proportion!
  • Focus on a final product. We spent time drawing a face (either from a magazine, from our imagination or even from the wall of the art room). By this time, everyone had a pretty good comfort level. We made sure to fill the page. We then learned to tint our portriats with conte and a blender. It gave the portraits a soft quality. We cut them out when we were finished and set them aside.
  • Prepare the background. I asked every student to find five images in a magazine that they liked. They had to incorporate them into their background somehow. Some glued them on right away and others set them aside. They then chose five acrylic colours and put puddles of paint in five spots on their paper. They worked on spreading the paint around, blending and filling the white spots. We then let the paint dry. Afterwards, we added oil pastel and the magazine pictures (if we hadn’t already). Some students created their own effects through scraping and layering.
  • Put it all together. Lastly, students had to decide where to place their portraits on thier prepared backgrounds. This invited consideration of balance and colour.photo Portarit3 Portrait 3 Portrait4
  • There are more examples to come in two weeks.

Getting greatness from kids.

This week, we built onto last week’s learning and produced some amazing landscapes. My five year old returned and I decided to spend time with him, helping him learn to look at landscapes and capture them in his own way. The success experienced last week meant the other students were poised to try a landscape on their own. The confidence was palpable. After one week of explicit instruction and modelling, the students were able to set up entirely on their own and work almost independently. This freed me up to work with my young student. The results were impressive. We seemed to hit a sweet spot with this approach. Next week, we try something completely new…

20121128-194340.jpg

20121128-194356.jpg

20121128-194413.jpg

20121128-194427.jpg

20121128-194434.jpg